Friday, November 7, 2014

To Answer, or Not To Answer

Something struck me over these past couple of weeks - How much answering of questions should I be doing prior to the discussion?

Like many/most (all?) teachers, I've told my students that I'm here for them, that I'm available for questions. "Don't understand something? Ask." As I've said, I can't see inside their heads (and, even if I could, I can't read Chinese! :-D).

However, what I've found myself doing is helping them to answer homework/discussion questions BEFORE the discussion. Eager to capitalize on their interest in the problem and their willingness to come to me to seek assistance, I'm only too happy to help, often leading them to the answer. This is, after all, what I've always done with homework since it was always about practicing something that had been taught.

But, this is a different way of teaching. Learning through problem-solving and the ensuing discussion. How much should I be involved BEFORE both the individual attempts at the problem and the class in which the problem is discussed?

My sense is that, in some (many?) cases, I'm doing too much. Word/Meaning clarification? Yes. (English is, after all, their second language.) Ask questions to help them clarify their thinking? Yes. Lead them to the answer, my answer? No, at least not nearly as much as I've done.

My background as a teacher has always been "dispenser of knowledge." Leading students to the knowledge - through questioning - is so much more difficult.

Step back and allow the struggle to take place. THAT'S when the real learning happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment