Sunday, October 19, 2014

Learning the Language of Mathematics

My Chinese tutor (I'm taking Chinese lessons) spoke recently about the sequence of learning a new language - you first listen, then learn to speak, then read, and finally write. (I recall quite clearly this being the case with my niece.) Each builds upon the former.

In the Chinese education system, dominated by teacher lecture and next to no student involvement or interaction, the emphasis is on the latter two building blocks, reading and writing, at the expense of the first two building blocks, listening and speaking. According to her (and the students I asked about this), this results in a very surface level of understanding, one that more quickly disappears once out of school.

(I've had students come up to me who have taken 10+ years of English and tell me that speaking with me is the first time they engaged in an English conversation!)

As many of us know, math is very much like a language - there are unique symbols and either unique words or words that have mathematical meanings. Given this, it's very important that students are engaged in parts one and two of language acquisition - listening and speaking.

I wish I had a nickel for every time a student said to me, "I know what it means but I can't explain it." If you can't explain it, you don't know what it means. If you don't know what it means, chances are pretty good you won't remember it.

Listening and speaking are the foundation of the Harkness Method. Students are required to listen to one another and to present their solutions orally (and, in my case, in writing on the board). This is taking some getting used to (my not speaking), but it has become very clear how important it is for their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment