Friday, December 5, 2014

Questions. It's All About the Questions

The basis of a discussion-based classroom, is, of course, discussion. This requires good questions in two areas: 1) questions to be solved and 2) questions to be asked to complement, facilitate, and address difficulties.

After three months of using Phillips Exeter's math materials, I will readily admit that I am quite impressed with the level, the depth, of their questions. The vast majority of what I read when it comes to improving our math education is the need for more problem solving, more discovery learning, a greater focus on the richness of mathematics as a whole. Exeter's materials do all of these. I'm so appreciating questions that don't have whole number solutions (why do textbooks insist on always have "perfect" answers?), that spiral through topics, that lead students to derive formulas, and that often require knowing more than one mathematical idea to solve. This is, after all, what mathematics is like in the real world.

(I read somewhere that it took the Exeter faculty eight years to create their textbook! I'm humbled by such an effort.)

So, I have good questions to be solved. Now, as the teacher/guide/facilitator, the issue is asking good questions. This is definitely an area in which I need work. I'm so used to wanting to answer questions to keep things moving that I'm not nearly as good at what's really important - asking questions to guide in decision making, further challenge, or deepen learning. Students need to think and I need to help make that happen.

Area 1, good. Area 2, in process.

2 comments:

  1. Which math materials does Philip Exeter use? I'm fascinated by the Harkness Method and would like additional information about the math textbooks used in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle. PEA uses math materials that the teachers got together and wrote. (They review and update every summer.) Here's the link - http://www.exeter.edu/academics/72_6539.aspx

    ReplyDelete